Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Plum Lucky

This is the latest book Janet Evanovich has written about her heroine Stephanie Plum. No one *hearts* Stephanie Plum more than I do, but this was a "Between-the-Numbers" Plum book, which means it was short, sweet, and didn't have much about my favorite characters (aka Morelli and Ranger).

See, the first Plum book is called One for the Money. Then there's Two for the Dough, Three to Get Deadly, and so on. It's a great series. They're all about Ms. Plum, who stumbles into a career as a bounty hunter in Jersey. She goes through a series of spectacular events in each book, generally including several missed attempts at collecting her FTAs (Failure to Appear--people who don't show up for their court dates), her car getting destroyed, and some sort of love-life brouhaha. Her crazy Grandma Mazur probably pulls a stunt or two, and she always has dinner (with dessert!) at her parents' house in the Burg.

It's good stuff. But this one, like I said, doesn't have as much of the good meaty content that I love. It's just fluff. It's classic Evanovich, with old people in Atlantic City on St. Patrick's Day, a geezer who thinks he's a leprechaun, a bag of money that gets stolen or misplaced too many times to count, and a horse that comes to live in Stephanie's apartment. And it only took me about an hour to read. But it's just not as good as the "regular" Plums. Which is why I can't wait for Book #14!

Keep on keepin' on, Janet Evanovich. I love your work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you got me, I am going to try a Janet Evanovich next time I read, instead of listen to, a book. You make them sound like great fun. I'm looking forward to that!
mama