Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vivaldi's Virgins

This book by Barbara Quick is another grab-n-go for me. Never heard of it before. Sadly, it was not a fortuitous find.

It wasn't badly written. It didn't make me cringe (often). It was just BO-RING. Predictable and pointless, in a way. It just seems like there are a million books out there like this--historical fiction about some famous figure (here, obviously, Vivaldi) and including some sort of shocking sexually-related thing, and some sort of mystery that's completely obvious to people who have the good fortune to be born with brains. Ugh.

Then again, I didn't hate it. It was actually interesting to hear that Vivaldi and Handel and some other historical figures actually knew each other, and that sort of thing. But generally, it felt like a wasted day of reading. Oh well, better luck next time for me in my grab-n-gos, I hope.

No comments: