Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blue Shoe

I've been meaning to read Anne Lamott's fiction ever since I read Bird by Bird: some instructions on writing and life and LOVED it last year. But this is the first time I've actually remembered to get one of her books while I was AT the library!

It was a quick, easy read. I didn't like it nearly as much as the writing manual, but it was still pretty good. I think my favorite part was seeing the author's personality and life experience shine through the story....I am really into that these days, finding authors that I like personally (well, I don't know them personally, but I imagine I would, and I like their personal tales, if that makes sense), and then seeing their lives come through their fiction writing. I think it's just fascinating.

Anyway. This book, Blue Shoe, was not what I was expecting it to be from the blurb, but it is the kind of thing I had in mind that Ms. Lamott would write. It's just about everyday life and all its beauty and ugliness and mystery and simplicity. Not bad at all, although certainly different.

No comments: