Friday, November 21, 2008

Three Junes

This book, by Julia Glass, was one of those completely fortuitous reads. I'd never heard of it before, but I got it for free a few weeks ago, and I'm not one to pass up a free book, DUH!

So it turned out to be separated into three parts (shocking), narrated by three different protagonists. It started out sort of slow, but once I got into the second part I started caring about THAT main character and being more interested in his life. The last part, I was less interested in the narrator but the story was still involving, so I kept reading. Ultimately, I enjoyed the book but more for the beauty of the turn of phrase than for the plot. The wording, the phraseology, was just lovely and that was the part I really liked. One of my favorites that comes to mind is "the alpha sleeper" used to describe that person around whom all other sleepers must contort themselves in a bed. And that doesn't even show off the tip of the iceberg of this novel, because that's just a little clever phrase and not really her writing style at all.

Anyway. I'm not really sure I'd recommend this novel, and certainly not for everyone. It was hard to get into and I wasn't particularly satisfied with the ending. But read it to enjoy the author's writing, if you wish. And I might check out her next book to see what that's like as well.

No comments: