Monday, November 17, 2008

A Ring of Endless Light

A young adult book by Madeleine L'Engle. For the most part, it was very enjoyable, although the information about dolphins is obviously dated (the book was written in 1980, I think, and it has a lot about how dolphins aren't violent like humans...).

I found a great quote in the book, which explains how I feel a lot of the time about religion in general and especially people who are self-righteous. I don't have the book in hand, though, so I'll have to do the best I can from my faulty memory, and admit that I can't remember who is supposed to have said it either. It goes something like this: "If you think you know all about it, it isn't God."

Anyway. The book is pretty good. Very relevant themes, at least for what I can remember of my own adolescence. Lots about death but ultimately very affirming. Classic L'Engle.

No comments: