Sunday, May 11, 2008

Keeping Faith

Jodi Picoult, for me, is hit-or-miss. When I read one of her books, I either really love it, or I think it's too boring and lame for words.

Luckily, this one was excellent--at least this time around. I read My Sister's Keeper several years ago and remember thinking it was just amazing--but now that I've read a few more Picoult books, I wonder if I'd feel the same way after a second reading. Sometimes she is just SOOOOOOOOO predictable.

But this book, Keeping Faith, was good for me because it didn't feel like the author was trying too hard to shock me, especially not with a "surprise ending" that I could see coming from a mile away (Salem Falls, anyone?). I felt like I connected with the characters and was actually interested in what happened to them. I could go on but I'm tired and my internet has been spotty so I have 3 more reviews to get through!

For those who are curious, the book is about a little girl whose parents are going through a divorce. "God" comes to her, and when you add in religious zealots, feminists, hoax-finders, and a court case, you have lots of opportunities for good drama. I liked it. The End.

Oh, and again, for those who are interested, here's a list of the J. P. books I've read, separated into those I liked and those I didn't.

Liked:
My Sister's Keeper
Keeping Faith
Second Glance

Disliked:
Picture Perfect
Songs of the Humpback Whale (didn't even finish this one, so maybe it got more interesting?)
The Pact

Really couldn't stand:
The Tenth Circle
Salem Falls

No comments: