Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Jane Austen Book Club

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book by Karen Joy Fowler, but I recently heard that it is going to be made into a movie. The place where I read this (which I have by now completely forgotten) expressed surprise at the idea, because without the actual writing it would just be a bunch of people hooking up and breaking up and all that jazz.

Well...I was pleasantly surprised that there just wasn't a lot of random unnecessary romance-ish stuff. But I agree that the way this book was written is definitely its best quality. I wasn't exactly taken by all the characters, but I did LOVE the discussions of Jane Austen books and the writing style. I'd recommend it only for those who love Ms. Austen, because for the rest of you, it won't have any sense of purpose or meaning. At least, that's the impression I get. Good luck with that! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you reviewed this for me. I've been thinking about it and wondering whether it would be worthwhile to read. Sounds like the answer is yes.

Becky

Susana la Banana said...

Yeah...I would VERY CAUTIOUSLY recommend it. It's not *great* but like I said, I enjoyed the style of writing and the Austen tidbits. It just didn't seem to have much more substance than that...but that's okay since it only took me like an hour to read! ;)