Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Shipping News

I watched the movie based on this book, by Annie Proulx, a couple of years ago, and frankly, it was awful. But I kept hearing how wonderful Ms. Proulx's books are, so I finally bit the bullet and cracked the spine on this one.

And I am so glad I did. It was wonderful. It is true that Ms. Proulx's writing style is more masculine than many, but that was part of why I liked it--it wasn't the same old same old form and storyline that I'm used to. Lately I've been looking for books that are outside the mold, and also books that perhaps I can share with my son (in the distant future), and this is absolutely perfect.

I won't say too much else, since I'm tired of reviews, but just know that the book is nothing like the movie--a million times better. And if you've never heard of either, check it out!

Oh, and shout out to my old anthropology profs for having me study The Old Hag, because that was totally in this book, and it was really fun to catch that reference! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this book! Her other book, Accordion Lives, I think, is amazing. It's been a really long time since I read these books. I had no idea you hadn't read them. I think I did see the awful movie rendition of TSN. or maybe just part of it. Just goes to show you that the book is always better. Unless it's Mary Poppins, of course!:)
mama