Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Cobra Event

The Hot Zone is a book by Richard Preston about an Ebola threat in the U.S. as well as some other history of the disease, etc. It's a wonderfully thrilling public health book that I happen to own, so when I saw this book, also by Richard Preston, I thought I'd check it out. But it's fiction, so I only got halfway through it before deciding that the author got too graphic and out-there for my tastes. It's a fascinating story but I couldn't handle the autopsies, the grim deaths, etc. anymore. Just too much.

That being said, Mr. Preston is a good writer and I would strongly recommend any of his nonfiction, because I think it's all fascinating and he writes in a very exciting way. But don't read this foray into fiction if you can't stand the gross-out factor. Also, a lot of people die, so be prepared for that. I know when I'm not prepared, it's even worse to discover that little fact. Cheers!

No comments: