Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Mother Trip: Hip Mama's Guide to Staying Sane in the Chaos of Motherhood

I just finished this book, by Ariel Gore, today, but even though I have several other reviews from my vacation that need posting, this couldn't wait. It is an AMAZING read, absolutely revolutionary, as well as entertaining. I can't say enough good things about this book or about Ms. Gore's philosophy: that mothers don't need any more criticism and that we can change the world for the better, or at least that's the best summation I can come up with. For example, one of my favorite stories from the book goes something like this:

Picture the perfect mother. What does she look like, what is she wearing? Where is she? What is she doing? What is she saying?

Now look in the mirror. That is the perfect mother for your children.

This is a must-read. It is also perfectly designed for moms, who might not necessarily have a lot of time to sit down and read...each chapter is a self-contained little essay, and the whole thing only took me maybe an hour to read anyway. So go get it from your local library, or if you're lucky enough to have some disposible income (unlike me), go buy it!

No comments: