Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Getting Lucky

This boo was featured in the "Oklahoma Writers" section of my library. It's by Marilyn Pappano, who is apparently from Sapulpa.

However, I feel that the author took her Southern roots and made them more acceptable by making the male protagonist from Georgia rather than Oklahoma. It's not that I think the characters have to be from the area you're from--not at all, there's this wonderful thing called imagination--but I was expecting an "Oklahoma read" and I got that whole Georgia-is-the-REAL-South experience instead. Kinda disappointing.

Also, this is a romance which takes place in Bethlehem, New York, and there are angels involved, and I realized about 2/3 of the way through this book that I had read a review for it somewhere before, but I don't remember where, so if you read this, let me know, so I can read your review again now that I've actually read the book.

It was not horrible. That's about the best I've got. The flow of words, the phraseology wasn't too bad; it was the stereotyping and overly predictable storyline that I disliked, really. But then again, I did keep reading! I also didn't like the fact that there was no hint of this being part of a series until I ended the book and most of the storylines were not finished. I hate that!

So. Another meh. Not terribly surprising.

No comments: