Monday, December 8, 2008

The Last English King

I picked this book, by Julian Rathbone, in my usual style--that is, off the shelf at the library as I was running past it, after my 2-year-old. The name sounded familiar, but I'm still not sure why.

The book appealed to me for obvious reasons, as anyone who knows me probably knows my intense preoccupation with all things British History. And I really enjoyed that aspect of it--the author did a great job of educating the reader on some interesting historical points without making it boring or out-of-context in the story itself.

However. It is a man's book, by which I mean it is a book that does not hold my interest through the 10-page-long descriptionS of different battles. Also, it does not dwell much on the relationship aspect of life. So eh. It was an interesting read at times, and also boring at times, as when I just could not get through those battle scenes! Good if you're interested in historical fiction with a hefty dose of history. Especially if you're someone who enjoys reading lengthy battle descriptions.

And now I'm sure someone will come and tell me that that's ridiculous, the battle descriptions are only 4 or 5 pages long. YOU GET MY POINT.

No comments: