Friday, October 10, 2008

Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

I got this book, by Louise Bates Ames and Frances L. Ilg, because Ask Moxie, one of my favorite bloggers, recommended this series of developmental sketches.

I have to say, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. First of all, it's from the 70s, so it's very dated in some ways. Secondly, a lot of the things they were writing about (for example, kids climbing out of cribs) are just not relevant to me. Thirdly, although I do think they tried to help parents accept their own issues and troubles with parenting, it still wasn't my personal vision of parenting, a lot of the time. I just don't like a book with this kind of title, generally speaking. But there were plenty of good little "nuggets" to help you feel good about where you and your two-year-old are with typical issues and such.

Eh. I guess I just trust myself and the individual lprocesses and nature too much to find books like this terribly helpful. I'm not worried about when my child will be fully potty trained or sleep all night through in his big kid bed or learn to count or read or eat three square meals a day or whatever. So yeah. Not for me, but definitely could be helpful if you need reassurance on those kinds of things.

No comments: