Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Went to the library again today...

..and it was another grab-n-go. The boy was running around everywhere, so I just grabbed books randomly off the shelves with the bare minimum of a glance to make sure it looked like something I might not hate. So this is what I got:

The Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper, because I have never read it, because James pulled it off the shelf for me, and because so far this year I have kept my reading list *fluffy,* and I'm needing some more mental stimulation. Oh, and a bonus that I thought of afterward is that I might get some enjoyment from the description of nature in the book? I've been reading Last Child in the Woods and the author mentions that books about nature can also help our children (and us) become closer to nature. Sweet!

The Mage's Daughter, Lynn Kurland, which is apparently "A Novel of the Nine Kingdoms." I have no idea what this means, but apparently this is a fantasy novel. Weird. She usually writes cheesy medieval romances, which I enjoy, but which are also the ultimate in Fluff. We'll see how this goes.

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife, Linda Berdoll, because I am in the mood for some more P&P. But I am expecting to be disappointed, because honestly, I can't imagine it gets any better than the Pamela Aidan series I just finished. Also? I seem to remember that there was a "sexy" piece of P&P fanfiction that came out a few years ago...and now I'm wondering if this is it, since the back says, "Whoa, Darcy!" We'll see. The good thing about the library is, if this turns out badly, I can just slip it back in the return slot. I'll let you know!

And finally--Everything You NEVER Wanted Your Kids to Know About $EX (but were afraid they'd ask): The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens, Justin Richardson and Mark A. Schuster. This is not a grab-n-go. This is a book that James pulled off the parenting shelves and wouldn't even let go of long enough for me to read more than the title...but you know my feelings on getting bad books from the library, so I got it for him anyway. And lo and behold, when I cracked it open at home, it was funny! And it seems like it might be a good read, even though the subject isn't really on my radar at the moment. We'll see what happens with this one too.

No comments: